Saturday, April 20, 2013

April Challenge ~ Once Upon A....Sketch

BOOKS are the keys to knowledge....

Seems as if winter has finally decided to visit the Southern hemisphere...it is cold, windy and wet!!! I have created my first LO using Maja Design papers and what a joy it was to use!!! It's quality and design are amazing...it stood up to my heavy distressing with ease...I used the sketch and theme from April's challenge at Once Upon A...Sketch.

The theme was to display the best day of your life...now for that there are a legion of possibilities and after some pondering and going through my photos I decided to use the day I learned to read as my theme. Being able to read has opened up a new world to me, a world were one can escape when times are tough, a world were you can visit uncountable destinations around the world, learn about different cultures and meet the man of your dreams, if only in the book, but still....

Without books and the written word I would have been that much poorer and I think back with nostalgia to the days of  reading 'Boet en Sus' in Kindergarten!

We discovered these books in the attic of a Restaurant / Coffee Shop in Willomore whilst on vacation in 2011...All of them had this beautiful art work on them...and who will be able to take a guess what kind of books they are? No, no romantic Novel series, or Historic Art work collection...They were Tattersol Records from a race court in London!!!!



I used 1904, 1911, 1916 and 1934 from the Vintage Summer Basics collection. If my South African friends are interested in the papers...Merle from Scrap $ Card Boutique stocks Maja and Pion Papers....My journalling ( much as I wrote on top )  is written on the two small tags on the top of my LO.



To achieve the rolled effect of the blue paper, I used a thin wooden skewer and rolled the paper over it in the same manner one would create 'valleys and peaks', in other words roll over and roll under, instead of making a pleat...Double clicking on the photo might also give you a better look of the art work on the book pages.



I embossed the Bookplate from Tim Holtz and a little key with Stampendous Aged Rose embossing enamel. The background in the Bookplate is a piece of PP and Prima letters which was embossed with clear UTEE.



Close up showing my layers and rolled paper...And here one can see the different patterns on the books...just stunning don't you think? All the sides were decorated like this, apologies though, my original photos weren't to good to start with...



The flower clusters are made with Prima Flowers and Pearls.



I did some light stamping, and some stenceling with a Prima mask and modelling paste. Gave it a misting with Lindys Stampgang Mist, Gregarious Gray. 



From a different angle one can see the Rose shimmer of the mist.





These are the footnotes from the Maja Papers...They are all just to pretty to throw away and can be used to add some extra elements to your work. I also thought the phrase "Treasure your Memories" tied in well with my theme.



Used three different Spellbinder Dies cut-outs and an embossed 'wise' little Owl for decoration.



The sketch, which I just rotated once....

Leaving you with this little piece of wisdom....

Nature and books belong to the eyes that see them.
Ralph Waldo Emerson 

6 comments:

  1. So amazingly vintage!! Wow you did an amazing job on this LO. It really looks fabulous. And what a find with those books. Gorgeous photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is utterly LUSCIOUS!! just look at that TH book plate, amazing effect with the embossed enamel!! Those books are truly gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing your marvellous page with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Eila...thank you so much for the wonderful comments!!! I truly appreciate your kind words!!!

      Delete
  3. This is just so pretty. I love it. The photos are so cool. Just love what you have done with this one ... clever lady :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely amazing work. What a beautiful page this is. Thank you for sharing with us at OUAS

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful LO! and papers are gorgeous! thank you so much for playing with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...