Monday, January 14, 2013

Scrap Africa Challenge #13 - Poststamps

 - A New Way of Printing -

The challenge at Scrap Africa is set by Jowilna Nolte and we are to use Post Stamps... And I had the perfect subject and embellishments for this challenge!

In 2008 Chantelle won the competition held by the South African Post Office to design new stamps. She chose to design The Dinosaurs and 10 off her designs were printed as stamps! But another surprise awaited us when we learned that these would be the first stamps ever to be printed in 3-D!!! They were printed by Cartor Security Printing in France and one needs special 3-D glasses to get the illusion of the Dinosaurs floating in front of the background. If you have glasses, give it a try...it is really amazing to see the effect...yes, it works even on a computer screen...lol...I tried!

An interview with her, an article on the printing techniques and an article on her dinosaurs were featured in the Sept/Des 2009 SETEMPE, The South African Post Office philatelic magazine. Her stamps also won 4th place at Stampnews.com Top 10 Extraordinary stamps of 2009.



I know this LO is a far cry from how I usually scrap... but I felt that adding bling and flowers would take the emphasis away from the main attraction...the stamps! 



The chipboard letters were inked, stamped and clear embossed...



This is a good example of what the Anaglyphs  look like...looking at the stamps now, I can not think that she literally spend weeks on end designing, sending drafts in, re designing, to get all the details perfect!





I had to do something on the page other than glue and paste...hence a little stamp work with Postage stamps....



I want to enter this LO to OUAS January 2013 challenge as well, therefore I did my journalling on a hidden tag. It reads as follows...

"In 2008 chantelle was the winner of a competition launched by the South African Post Office for their annual stamp design. Apart from the honour of knowing her design will be used world wide by those that still use snail mail...she had the added bonus of her stamps being the first ever to be printed in 3-D! They were printed by Cartor Security Printing in France. One needs special 3-D glasses to get the illusion of the dinosaurs standing in front of the background.Words can not describe how proud we are of this achievement..."

 This is the sketch at OUAS...


I did a previous LO which you can find in my Dusty Attic photo Gallery...please have a visit and see the three consecutive photos there. There is also a photo of the framed set of stamps that she received as a gift from the Philatelic Society.

Thank you for allowing me to ramble on about my daughters achievement...My next work will be more of  my usual busy style...

11 comments:

  1. This is truly beautiful and a wonderful achievement for Chantalle...you can be very poud of her :) Loving all the stamping!!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful layout Patricia and those stamps are really amazing! I love the layering and the earthy colouring...really a wonderful remembrance to a super occasion! Thanks so much for always leaving me love on my blog and facebook too....I also really appreciate it and it means a lot! Thanks girl! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is this?! Love that you have chosen to document her achievement this way, those stamps look super awesome!!! So glad you joined us at OUAS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fab way to document your daughters achievement.. the stamps look amazing and they really draw your eye!! Thanks so much for sharing with us at OUAS!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chantelle did an awesome job creating those stamps! lovely page and beautiful photo's! xxx
    ps...freezing cold here with more snow.....brrrrr!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to get a relative to post me something with one of these stamps on! How awesome :) Thanks for sharing this great story and layout with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, my son just ran to get his 3D glasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chantalle! I just hope he had the red and blue 3D glasses? Those are the once to use, not the once you get at the cinema to watch 3D movies...Thank you for taking time to comment...hope you can get post soon?

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous page! Thank you so much for playing along with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great layout ... I love how you stayed with one principal color and how you used the stamps! Wonderful! I also have my ideas how to create "my personal" stamp layout, it will be up on my blog this weekend. But I also already finished my layout for OUAS, come and have a look at my blog if you like http://paperscrapsandscissors.blogspot.com
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very beautiful! Love the postage theme! Thanks for joining along with OUAS :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...